Sunday, August 3, 2014

August 3 Run

Today's Run

We greeted August with a surprisingly robust turnout of 20 runners.  It was an interesting mix of both new runners and regulars. Dawn, a long-time Sunday runner, joined us this morning for the first time in a while.  Dawn and husband Dave have been two of our most consistent Sunday runners over the years and it was great to have her turn up today.

 

We also hosted two young men from the UK, one of whom had joined us last Sunday. And we greeted new runner Elizabeth, whom I had met last Sunday at Paneras.  She relocated here from Ft. Lauderdale less than a year ago and she has been looking for a group to run with.  So welcome to the group, Elizabeth!

 

Race Report

From Dylan reporting from Rhode Island this morning:  "1.56.47 in John Kelley Ocean Beach 11.6 mile race today. 69 degrees and rain. My best time in three years." Congratulations, Dylan! Great job!!

 

From the Ireland desk:  Helene is in Dublin running a half marathon this weekend and Arwa is off to Ireland Tuesday to host a hiking tour of the Emerald Isle.  Keep us posted, ladies.

 

Next Sunday

Our next run will be my last run as a 79 year old.  I turn 80 the next day and am excited about joining what will be the 8th age category of my 32nd year of running.

 

Please come on out and celebrate with me!  You can help me ease into this new rarefied and uncharted territory.  This is the age group where people mysteriously start disappearing!!

 

My good friends Jackie and Kurt plan to trek down from Sanford for the occasion and Geralynn hopes to make it over from the Space Coast.  Jackie has launched a new career as a personal trainer and is working out of a gym:  thetrainersedge.net

Her program is one of high intensity group training tailored to the individual.  Congratulations, Jackie!

 

Thought for the Week

Consider the turtle:  He moves not ahead unless his neck is out—Unknown

 

Have a great week! 

 

Jack

2 comments:

Chris said...

In Austin, TX for a few days. Ran 15 yesterday with a group of 20 runners who were participating in Austinfit... their version of our Marathonfest. Extended an invitation for all of them to come run with us in Winter Park.

Bob said...

Jack and I have been running, jogging, slacking at the back of the pack together since shortly after running was invented. This week I am jogging one country north of him but I will be thinking of him next Monday when he joins me in having reached middle age, the elegant eighties! I hope you all turn out on Sunday for his last seventies effort.