Thursday, April 10, 2014

Re: Running

Everyone,

First of all, I apologize for the Reply All. I just wanted to make sure anyone who is active in this discussion sees my reply.

I think this topic has gotten a little out of control, so I should clarify a few things. The Orlando Runners Club is not asking anyone to run with a dog. We simply offered--as an option--to have a few designated individuals and interested volunteers, someone who actually wants to run with a trained dog from the SPCA. These are dogs that the SPCA has already spent time with to prepare for the run.

The questions is simply this: will it bother anyone if the dogs meet on the opposite corner and run with volunteering participants along a 1.5-mile portion of the route (not the whole thing and not getting in anyone's way). We (ORC) only want to use the Sunday run once per month as a meeting point. We are not asking anyone to run with a dog if this isn't something you're excited about doing. The concept was a community partnership opportunity that sounded like a wonderful idea for all parties. These dogs get exposure and exercise while dog lovers have the opportunity to mingle.

We want to start the group run at the same time and location simply so runners have the option to pick a dog to run with, if they want to. However, we are not forcing anything on anyone. We are planning to keep the dogs separated from the group so no one who is afraid of dogs has to worry. I'm sorry this was not made clear.

Please feel free to reply directly to me (please don't reply all) if you have specific questions that I can bring to the Board and the organizers of this event.

Thank you!

Cheryl Sobering
volunteer board member, ORC

PS - If anyone has problems with Pumpkin joining our run, please let me know privately. I did not realize there was opposition to this, so I do not want to make anyone uncomfortable.


 

No comments: