Sunday, March 30, 2014

March 30th Run

News regarding Jon Hughes
Jon, as I am sure you all know, is the owner of Track Shack and a long time avid runner and race director.  I was taken aback this week to hear that Jon had a significantly blocked artery and underwent surgery to implant a stent.  On the same day, I read an article in the Wall Street Journal dealing with blockages in some elite runners. (http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303949704579461381883678174)  I urge you to read that article, since I believe that, as runners, we tend to think of ourselves as being somewhat invulnerable to coronary issues.  If I have the story correctly, Jon knew better than his doctors that something was amiss.
 
Today's run
We had a healthy turnout of some 18 people. We were rewarded with an idyllic 57 degree sunny morning.  This may turn out to be the most comfortable temp we will enjoy for the next six months or so.
 
Eamonn was up in Jacksonville racing.  He will have to fill in the details, but it looks like it was a triple header!  Eamonn, please let us know what mischief you were up to!!
 
Go figure
While running on Park Avenue last Wednesday morning, Chris and I encountered a scene which I captured on my I-phone in front of the shoe store just north of our Sunday starting point:
We are lost for a theory on what unfolded that some runner would shed his shoes in the middle of the sidewalk. Because of its location, all of you are suspect.  Any ideas or confessions?
 
News from Lynne
Thanks to Lynne, we have a picture of the front cover of Southwest Airlines magazine.  It features a familiar canal scene just past Mile 2 on our running route.  Note the tag line. "A Florida oasis where you will wish you lived." We sometimes forget how lucky we are!
 
Have a wonderful week!
 
Jack

No comments: